Adding to My Botanical Garden...

1:25 PM

I was at the farmer's market yesterday and HAD to get this little indoor plant they had at one of the farmer booths. I know, I know I'm starting to get ridiculous with filling my office with plants (remember this?) but I've started a system so that it doesn't get too crowded in here. If I feel like there's too much going on, I'll move one of the pots onto the roof for some sunshine and fresh air or I'll carry one home with me for my bedroom :)

This special plant apparently is an indoor plant ONLY. I asked the farmer what to do and he said wait for the soil to dry out between waterings, don't put it outdoors, and snack on the leaves every now and then.

I said, Wait, what!

The leaves have this peculiar sour-yet-sweet taste to them...a bit similar to sour grass if you've ever chewed on it as a kid. The farmer said he and his brothers used to call this plant "sweet pickle leaves" when they were little.




I was really drawn to their color and softness, but what made me buy them was that they actually reminded me of a lovely afternoon not too long ago in the summer when Mackenzie and I were in Hudson with Melina and her tita Alice. I need to find the latin name of this plant and look it up because this plant looks and feels almost exactly like the pretty bush Macke and I sat next to on a stoop on Warren Street when I was regretting wearing jeans on such a warm day but was happy to be with my love in the summer in a place that holds fond memories for us.

It'd be nice to be able to plant this in a garden someday and watch it grow huge!



xo,

N

You Might Also Like

0 comments

About me

Finding the little joys in this large, beautiful world we live in.

When I'm not designing and fixing liturgy full time, I'm usually involved with lots of other creative projects like photographing, painting, floral designing, and experimenting with cooking!

Like us on Facebook