,

Matcha Green Tea Coconut Milk Ice Cream

3:12 PM


Mknz and I were flipping through cookbooks the other day and we came across a method for making homemade ice cream without one of those ice cream maker machines. The old-fashioned way of making ice cream is to pour your cream mixture into a metal pan and freeze it, but to stir it multiple times before it completely freezes so that it has that smooth, creamy texture.

I decided to give it a try! Here's a recipe I made up and experimented with that turned out DELICIOUS. Here's a little recipe I drew up:


1.5 cups coconut milk
4 egg yolks
10 tbsp raw sugar
1.5 cups heavy cream, whipped
2 tbsp matcha powder
6 tbsp hot water

Mix hot water + green tea powder in a bowl and set aside. Whisk egg yolks in a pan. Add sugar to pan and mix well. Add coconut milk and put pan on low heat, stirring constantly. When mixture is thickened, remove pan from heat and place in an ice water bath. Add green tea and mix well. Add whipped heavy cream and stir gently. Pour the mixture into a metal container and freeze, stirring ice cream a couple of times each hour.


You can buy matcha at your local Japanese market. Back home in San Diego, my sisters and I grew up going to Mitsuwa in Kearny Mesa. When I moved to the city the first thing I did was look up the nearest Japanese super markets - I don't know why I ever fret because there are a few really awesome markets in Manhattan! My favorite is Sunrise Mart.



So thankful for Melina's awesome kitchen tools - this immersion blender whipped up the cream in a jiffy!





I used raw sugar from evaporated cane juice.



Pax,

N

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. YUM!!! I have to do it when I have a big freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's so delicious! Mknz simultaneously made Taro Ice Cream

      Delete

About me

Finding the little joys in this large, beautiful world we live in.

When I'm not designing and fixing liturgy full time, I'm usually involved with lots of other creative projects like photographing, painting, floral designing, and experimenting with cooking!

Like us on Facebook