Nostalgic Tuesdays: Agave Greenhouse Planting

12:00 AM

I'm constantly being seduced by the idea of returning back home to the laid-back Southern California lifestyle I grew up with. My family moved all around San Diego growing up - from suburbia to areas close to the beach - and now we finally settled in a small town in the northernmost county on a 5-acre plot of avocado groves. For the past 8 years we've worked our mountain-top plot to till it and care for it to produce delicious avocados and fruit. Thinking about waking up in the morning to water the grove and the palm tree nursery my Dad acquired from a friend has been such a sore affair because I miss the hot desert region and the calm relaxing act of working in the yard.

I was so lucky one summer to be given a job from a neighbor to plant and re-pot all of his baby agave plants. He was growing them to turn into tequila. I liked the job and the few afternoons spent in the hot greenhouse making sure each agave's roots were surrounded with soil so that no sun exposure would kill them.



The spikes on them were pretty tricky...when repotting, make sure you scoop them from the bottom under the thick leaves.



Looking at these photos I crack up because I snapped them with a Razor phone!

California nostalgia...

Pax,

N

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Wonderful post...I like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete

About me

Finding the little joys in this large, beautiful world we live in.

When I'm not designing and fixing liturgy full time, I'm usually involved with lots of other creative projects like photographing, painting, floral designing, and experimenting with cooking!

Like us on Facebook